Kind at a break now with a ton of projects knocked out over the last month and uncertainty about how long we will be in this house. BUT, as long as I'm breathing and tools are at hand I'm going to be into something.
I have two Model Power/Roco PRR E7s that were literally in pieces in one big Ziploc bag that I'm wading into. I think at the moment there are enough viable parts to get one complete running unit and one dummy, but I'm going to see if I can eventually get them both running. The shells were in rough shape so I'm repainting them and using some fresh Microscale decals on them. Had to replace a couple of stirrups too.
Then there is the FrankenTyco double headed Shark project that I'm going to do the dual power truck thing on too.
And last but definitely not least I now have a Hobbytown E7 that I acquired from hypoponera that I am itching to apply some TLC to if I can quit staring at it. Beautiful piece of model railroading art, all metal construction, not a plastic clip to be found, all held together with screws. And a big honking open frame motor. Have not decided what roadname it will be yet.
Much, many more projects waiting in the wings packed away in boxes.
The JNXT Family of Transportation Companies:
JNXT Railroad "The Weasel Route" BRTX Railroad "The Buzzard Route" P&S Railroad "Don't blame us, this isn't our equipment" The Buzzardly Shops "Your GOO Headquarters"
Post by goingincirclez on Jan 13, 2016 9:48:01 GMT -5
Getting that Tyco GN 0-8-0 off the bench felt pretty good, the first real work for myself that I'd done in months! So here's what's left on the bench and in the cabinet:
- Broadway Limited smoking AC6000 to dissect and review for MRN
- Varney Aerotrain with Kemtron drive kit: drive missing a few pieces, but I started assembling it last night. The truck castings alone are worth it. I have bigger plans in mind for the train, so I don't want to get too far before I finish some older projects like...
- Quality Craft 96Kgal LPG crater maker: haven't built the trucks yet because I'm missing the correct size channel for the bolster frames. I should probably just make them and be done with this, it's been at 85% for two years
- Bowser Challenger: from a pile of disassembled parts including Campbell super-details, etc. IIRC I got it mostly built but stalled upon appraoching the painting stage over 2 years ago. I wasn't ready to paint it properly and meanwhile it was missing one OEM drive link (which I wanted to keep original if possible), meanwhile it took up way too much bench space so I cleared it off and, darn, what a shame.
- A-Line 5-unit Gunderson well car: the biggest PITA kit I have ever assembled. And decaling it will be even worse. It's 95% built, but I've yet to devise the custom STC livery for it. Cleared off the bench at the same time as the Challenger.
- Model Power Alco C628: Powered Demonstrator that I took apart, then began adding, enhancing, and correcting some details to better reflect the actual Demo units. Trying to retain the factory paint where possible. Another one "mostly done before distraction"...
Post by retiredalex on Jan 14, 2016 10:20:20 GMT -5
Where to begin? Mantua 4-6-4 kit, working on the valve train. MDC Climax, fine tuning according to Jeff Johnson's book MDC Shay, fine tuning according to Jeff Johnson MDC Box Cab on a Bachmann 44 ton drive mechanism, adding some details, paint and weathering. Mantua 2-8-2, just finished. Kadee logging cars X3 And of course, start rebuilding the layout.
Post by burlington77 on Jan 15, 2016 0:51:02 GMT -5
Funny you should ask....on my "train shed" workbench, I've got an old metal Hubley truck that broke in half. I'm trying to epoxy it back together to at least make something that looks good. I'll try to get a pic.
On my garage workbench...ugh...a near empty jug of 90 weight and a bunch of oily rags. Differential leaking on the old truck.
JNXT 7707: Happy happy
Jan 13, 2020 1:10:50 GMT -5
The Jade Fog, formerly: Dave: It got a little close toward the end, but a couple first down passes lockup up the victory. Make sure the Green Bay and Western gets some rail time in a few victory laps! Maybe even break out that sky blue triple tanker that says Packers.
Jan 13, 2020 8:35:13 GMT -5
burlington77: Hi guys. It's been a while. I'm not a football fan, but there are a lot of happy people around here. I'm less than an hour from KC.
Jan 13, 2020 10:56:08 GMT -5
JNXT 7707: I'm surprised there's that many Packers fans that close to KC, Pat - but yes I bet they are happy
Jan 14, 2020 15:49:19 GMT -5
wks: Been a great five years for Kansas City sports fans. Royals in 2015 and maybe Chiefs in 2020.
Jan 15, 2020 0:53:54 GMT -5
JNXT 7707: The Texas Cartel met today. Rolling stock changed hands, pizza was eaten, and problems solved. The Earth continues to turn.
Jan 15, 2020 16:12:16 GMT -5
rbturner: Were you able to scrape up any floor sweepings for Mark?
Jan 15, 2020 17:05:36 GMT -5
JNXT 7707: I did the best I could, Randy - but pickin's are pretty slim. Half a box car shell, a coupler spring and a Tyco wheelset. Kinda sad
Jan 15, 2020 18:06:35 GMT -5